Tuesday, October 9, 2012
Treasure
When I was a little girl I remember going to my Memaw's house and searching for treasures. As far back as I can remember I've believe boxes and trunks to poses magical things, exciting things. All I've ever found of course is old clothes, discarded pictures and sewing supplies. I now own two of my Memaw's treasure boxes, her wooden sewing box and a cedar trunk. They are so special to me. I remember opening the sewing box and looking at the thread, needles, pins, and thimble and wondering how to use the items. I just moved all my sewing supplies into the box so I can look and smell and remember my beloved Memaw. I loved her so much. I use her cedar chest to store my winter clothes in and hope one day to be able to afford the refinishing it desperately needs. When I was in my twenties I never really cared about these things but as I get older I cherish more of my family history and memories. I lost my Grandmother when I was 11 and I still cry when I think about her. I wonder if my Memaw would laugh at the keepsakes I have? Lol! I also wonder what my girls will one day cherish. :) What memories are they making each week when we go to my parents house? It's such simple things that matter to kids. Will I ever out grow this curiosity about boxes and treasure? Now that I think about it my memories are the treasure and the hope I felt when I would pop the lid is how I try to live my life. I know disappointment comes just like I felt when it was old clothes instead of gold or candy, but I will keep on dreaming and hoping. It's where the fun is anyway and fun is my favorite. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment