Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Coconut Cream Pie

Coconut Cream Pie (microwave)

1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 egg yolks (save whites for meringue)
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 cup shredded coconut
1 - 10 inch pie shell, baked

Mix together sugar, eggs, salt, and cornstarch.  Add a little of the milk to blend well.  Add remaining milk and coconut.  Cook 6-8 minutes in microwave, stirring every 2 minutes.  When thick, add vanilla and butter.  Pour in a baked pie shell.  When cool, add meringue, sprinkle coconut over the top and brown under broiler for about 1 minute.

If you don’t like meringue you can top it with whipped cream and toasted coconut. So good! But I love meringue. J

 It took 8 minutes for the filling to thicken.

You can turn any pudding based pie recipe into a microwaved version by following your recipe for the ingredients and then using the cooking instructions from this recipe. I make my lemon meringue pie in the microwave and my chocolate pie. I also make my pecan pralines in the microwave and my peanut brittle. I love the microwave! :)

1 comment:

  1. My mom has an excellent microwave fudge recipe. :) And you look fabulous!!! So does the pie. :)

    ReplyDelete