My daughters are 6 and 8. We have had some interesting conversations this month. They notice boys now. :) I remember those days! I had so many crushes. LOL! So many. I never knew if it was good, bad, or normal. I've decided to take a different approach on this subject. It's a good thing to notice the difference between boys and girls and the feelings it brings. We have a habit especially as Christians to stop the conversation with "you're too young, stop it". Well I couldn't stop it! It just made me hide my feelings and figure the answers out on my own. It's ok for my daughters to like a boy. It's normal, natural. My job is to help educate them on managing their feelings. I'm keeping the conversation open with my girls. They WILL fall in love, they WILL get married, they WILL have sex. I'm making sure that I will be the one they come to when they have questions, by not being quick to correct or condemn. I listen and I teach.
This seems to be a great approach, because of how much I've learned about them and their friends. Instead of "protecting" them from marriage, relationships and sex. I'm preparing them for the inevitable. :) It will happen. Will they be prepared? I hope so. The goal is to guide them into right choices. While still allowing them to make the choices themselves. They already know they are too young for boyfriends. I didn't even have to tell them. They told me! Lol! I can't control another human being, not even my children. I can guide them and train them and teach them. In the end it's their life, their choice. Hopefully in the end I will have happy healthy daughters married to their "Flynn Rider's" or rather "Eugene's". ;) Marriage is a good thing. We need to remember that. :) We are already discussing what to look for in a man. lol! They will be ready. :) Landon and I will be happy to "give them away" in marriage. Not because we want to see them go, but because I trust them to make the right choice. Thankfully I have 9 plus years before this happens. :)
Great thoughts! The best conversations have no end. ;)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad your the mother of my children! :)
ReplyDelete