Let us not become conceited, or provoke one another, or be jealous of one another. (Galatians 5:26 NLT)
Wow! This one is hard! Not be jealous? No conceit? Stop provoking? This is such a part of us humans. We can't seem to live without them. Christian or not we seem to all fall into this. If you don't think you do...God help you. :) I know I get trapped by it. Maybe as Christians we become conceited in our righteousness as if it's something we achieved on our own. But seriously?! No one can achieve righteousness on their own. Just try following the old testament law for a day. We all deserve to die by this standard. We are only righteous through Jesus Christ. So why do we get full of conceit and condemnation? I think we forget that we are all capable of falling into sins. Even the "big" ones. The ones we whisper about. :) Don't dare say it out loud...it might get you. ;) lol!
I don't want to be this Christian anymore. I'm a person saved by grace. I want to liberate others with this grace, this freedom. It's dangerous to puff myself up by the good done. It is only by the loving sacrifice of God through Jesus that I even have a chance. I don't want to forget this. I can't go around pointing fingers at the ones "living in sin". It's kinda stupid. :) I hate being pointed at and condemned....why would I do it to someone else? Especially to a my brother or sister in Christ! The bible says that they will know us by the way we love each other?
By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." (John 13:35 ESV)
When's the last time you were known by your love towards others? Ouch! It was a tough question for me too.
My comfort is this...I am righteous through Christ. As I walk in the Spirit (just yielding) I will see the fruit effortlessly. I don't have to "be better" or "work harder". I need to learn to rest in Jesus. Just rest and walk in the peace he promised me. I have it already. :) So as I pursue a relationship with Jesus I will naturally see the fruit. Good fruit! I'm setting aside self effort and my "know it all" attitude for Jesus. I'm excited to see where this takes me. :)
But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!
Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there. Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives. (Galatians 5:22-25 NLT)
Jaz, it is so wonderful how the Holy Spirit is working in the Body of Christ. I wrote a post on my blog that was similar. Using Micah 6:8 and Romans 12:16. If you want to read it CK out my wall on Facebook for the link. I posted it sometime on Tuesday a.m. My point is that He is saying same things to us through teachings of our wonderful Pastor Duane! Great post, girlfriend...
ReplyDeleteThank you Debbie :) I'll go check it out. :) I heard the men behind me in the grocery store discussing the same things too. It's being reveled to anyone seeking. :)
Delete